Home / Minerals / Sylvite, the Potassium Chloride

Sylvite, the Potassium Chloride

Sylvite (KCl) is a metal halide salt that is composed of potassium and chlorine. In the pure state, sylvite has no odor. It has a white or colorless vitreous crystal, with a crystal structure that is cut into three directions. Potassium chloride is sometimes referred to as “muriate of potassium,” especially when it is used as a fertilizer.

Sylvite that is known as potassium chloride is a mineral that has the same characteristics as the other mineral, halite. However, this still has differences with halite. Sylvite has a salty taste, but it is little bitter when it is compared with halite. In fact, the mineral is found in the areas evaporation of deposition, such as in New Mexico and western Texas. This mineral is commonly found in the form that resembles chunks or coarse grained massive. Sylvite is normally used as fertilizer because it contains abundant potassium.

Sylvite Characteristics

How do the characteristics of sylvite? This mineral has a wide range of colors, namely white, yellowish white, reddish white, brownish white, and bluish white. Then, for its spout, sylvite has a white drain spout. Meanwhile, its gloss, this has a sheen in the glass type. Sylvite is included in the isometric crystal system. Sylvite has a perfect hemisphere and fractional uneven with violence of 2.5. It belongs to a transparent light penetrating power with gravity of 1.99. Its associated minerals are halite, gypsum, carnallite, anhydrite, and a group of evaporit minerals. This mineral can be found in Germany, Kalush, Russia, New Mexico, Texas, California, USA, Saskatchewan, Canada, French, Mt. Vesuvius, Italy, and Spain.

Sylvite Uses

Sylvite which is obtained in the potash stone that its occurrences is in the arrangement of this mineral, that is associated with gypsum, halite, and anhydrite in the form of a precipitate evaporates, can be used in agriculture. In fact, potash is an essential element that must be present on siologis processes, such as photosynthesis and sugar transport. This mineral also serves in the efficiency of use of water, carbonate and protein metabolism, and activation of the enzyme.

Sylvite1 Sylvite2 Sylvite3 Sylvite4 Sylvite5 Sylvite6 Sylvite7 Sylvite8 Sylvite9

In addition, sylvite also serves to maintain the quality of the plants. Almost all of this mineral, it is about 95%, it is used as fertilizer, while the rest, which is about 5%, used to make potassium carbonate (K2CO3) and potassium hydroxide (KOH). Potassium carbonate is commonly used to make glass, especially glass televisions, while potassium hydroxide is commonly used to make liquid soaps and detergents. Sylvite/ Potassium chloride is also used in medicines and saline intravenous fluids. It is also used in the manufacture of bread, photography, leather tanning, and to make iodize salt.

Effects on Health

When kidney function is disrupted and then the accumulation of sylvite occurs in the body, the heart rate could be disrupted. If dust of potassium inhaled, it will cause irritation of the eyes, nose, throat, lungs, cough, and sore throat. Higher exposure could potentially lead to accumulation of fluid in the lungs that can cause death. Meanwhile, if sylvite is making contacts with the skin and eyes, it can cause severe burns, causing permanent disability.

Description: Sylvite that is known as potassium chloride is a mineral that has the same characteristics as the other mineral, halite. It is composed of potassium and chlorine.

Check Also

Dolomite Lime Reviews

What people know about dolomite lime? Dolomite lime is pretty famous among gardener. Some gardeners …

Seal Online